4.23.2012

Our Wedding: Insider Edition

I keep getting tons of questions about Michael's and my wedding, so I figured I would tell it all right here- well, not all the details.  There's got to be a few fun surprises!

Let me start by saying that Michael and I neither one have ever wanted a big wedding, especially not a traditional wedding.  Instead of dreaming of the big white dress and stressing about the fact that First Baptist Church of Henderson has two aisles and which one I should walk down like so many girls did, I dreamed of being on the beach and other destination weddings.

We decided to have a private ceremony in a beautiful backyard in Tyler overlooking a lake with the sunset in the background.  The only people there will be Michael, me, Frank Teat, and our photographer, Hunter Leone with his assistant.  That's right, no parents, no family, no attendants.  (I hear you all saying, "REALLY?! I would think you of all people would want a big wedding!" Yes, I can read your mind.)

Immediately after the ceremony, we will go to a very small reception in a renovated barn in Tyler that is now just for weddings and events.  Key words: very small!! It is mostly family and a few friends who I have always thought of as family.

Trust me when I say that the guest list was the hardest thing Michael and I have ever done.  It is what has stressed us out the most of the planning process. We have so many people that we love and care about, but we were very limited.

Why are we doing it like this?  I love huge weddings.  I love the receptions with so many people jammed in a building that you can hardly move through the tables.  I think the people who have had weddings like that very much loved their big day and wanted it to be extravagant and that is wonderful! But it isn't what Michael and I wanted.  We wanted our wedding to not be about the wedding.  We want our "big day" to be about the beginning of an incredible marriage.  It was a decision we put a ton of thought into.

We love the idea of an intimate gathering of the people who care about us more than anyone in this world all together to celebrate and support that we will be together for the rest of our lives- so that's what we chose!

Thank you to all of the friends and family who have sent us encouraging messages and truly wanted to be a part of our journey.  You are all a part of that journey.  You are a part of the marriage, even if you are not a part of the wedding, and that is truly the most important part.  We are so thankful that you respect our decision.

xo_vw

2 comments:

meawhitbrown said...

You're the best. Seriously. While I, too, thought you'd be the one to want a HUGE, over the top wedding...I totally get where y'all are coming from. And I totally get it. And it's y'all's "big" day, and you should do it however YOU want! This is so eloquently put-something I never would've been able to write-and I love it. I can't wait for you to be a married woman! I love you, and am so thankful that you're in my life!

Victoria Searcy said...

Meg! You're going to make me cry!