10.17.2011

Stop A Habit.




So many people, including myself, struggle with an addiction of some type.  For me, it's Dr. Pepper, social networking, and judging people around me.

It's hard to give up things that have become so ingrained in our lives.  Things we don't want to give up and don't know how to begin.  I have always been taught that to give up something, you must fill that void with something else.  

This truth is how Christian based rehab centers work so well: take away the alcohol, drugs, sex, abuse, or whatever other struggles, and fill that emptiness with the love and acceptance of Jesus.  

This week, I have been working on my addiction of judging people.  I know a lot of others struggle with this as well.  As many times as we are told to not judge, to love others just as they are, and that Christ loves them no matter what, it is a thought process that it ingrained and second nature and is so hard to get rid of.  

This week while walking through the halls of UT Tyler, I have been trying to figure out one positive thing about everyone I pass and to smile at them.  When I have to focus so much on that, it leaves me no time to notice anything negative about the people around me and leaves me feeling refreshed.  Is this how Christ lived? He overlooked the fact that people were liars and cheaters; instead, noticing things He loved about them.

I was also talking to a lady I don't know very well today and she told me to work on this as well.  I was very appreciative of the God wink that came through a near stranger in encouraging me to keep working on this.  

When you spend all of your time loving people, there is no time to hate, no time to criticize, no time to judge negatively.  

Love someone.  

xo_vw

No comments: